Monday, April 7, 2008

Blogging your thesis?!

This guy, a PhD candidate in microbiology and currently at Tulane University, is blogging his ongoing thesis writing online.
http://pimm.wordpress.com

With his advisor's approval and several journal editors' positive feedback, he's posting part of his thesis, namely the introduction (which is a kind of review), and probably material and methods. As for the unpublished result part, I doubt that his advisor will allow him to do this before publication. Open science has not reached that level yet. You still have to publish your research somewhere to get noticed and get cited. I doubt Nature or any other journals will accept a paper with a blog article as one of the references.

-- Well, keep an eye on this. Certainly a brillant idea!

--Should I also blog my thesis when I write it? Maybe --

No comments: